Thursday, October 15, 2015

When lightening strikes

I have never liked storms . Especially thunder and streaks of electricity shooting across the sky. 
The power of it and the unknown and many possibilities of disastrous  events that follow.
The first thing I think to do is secure my home. I check the grounds for any potential hazard. 
Checking for everything that should be protected , covered or put away.
Then I secure all my animals. Plenty of food and water in different locations.
Then I secure inside my home .
Making sure first aid kit is easily found. Candles and flashlights.
Even though this house is rarely ever stocked with food to last even one day....I make sure it's it a safe place in a couple locations. The same with water. I save containers big enough to hold three gallons of water. Small enough to move around and big enough to last a couple days, if needed. 
Then , (don't laugh) if it's at night... I get dressed in layers  . Pajamas and sweats. I always sleep with my shoes on during storms.
So would you certify that I have a genuine fear of storms?
I prepare not because I'm afraid to be without necessities. My fear is to not have taken the steps to prepare. 
Anxiety isn't the word for it when it comes to my children. I immediately and desperately have a need to scoop them up and bring them home. With all of them grown and their own lives and families, they live miles away in different  directions .
Waiting for the worst of the storm...gives e plenty of time to go through check system, scenarios, what if's.
I just can't wait till it's over and by that time I'm so exhausted, I'm out for the day that follows.

No comments:

Post a Comment